History of Fannie C. Williams Charter School

Located near the subdivisions of Sherwood Forest, Lake Forest, Lake Bullard, McKendall Fairway, and Eastover Estates in New Orleans East, is one of New Orleans’ newest charter schools–Fannie C. Williams Charter School. Prior to the hurricanes and flooding of 2005, the school served a middle school population of more than 1000 students. The 2007-2008 school year saw the re-opening and re-configuration of the school into modular buildings behind the site of the original school on Dwyer Road at Bullard Avenue. That school year, FCW served a student population that ranged from Pre-K through 6th grades.

It was opened as a Recovery School District institution of learning, with an open enrollment primarily for families returning to the eastern sector of the city. Currently we have open access for all students who reside in Orleans Parish. Our student body is primarily African-American, but we do have students of European, Asian, and Hispanic descent. All residents of Orleans Parish are welcomed to our family of learners.

Now near completion of its fifth year, F. C. Williams Charter serves students in grades Pre-K through 8th. December 2010 saw the approval of our charter application by the Louisiana Board of Secondary and Elementary Education (BESE). As of this school year, we are now known as Fannie C. Williams Charter School.

During our first four years of existence, LEAP and iLEAP scores have had modest, but steady gains. We are not where we want to be, but we anticipate another year of growth.